Special Assistance

Whether you are travelling with small children or require mobility assistance, you will find all of the necessary information whilst travelling with SAR here.

  • Wheelchair customers

    All our stations have a ready supply of wheelchairs for customers requiring mobility assistance. Our helpful staff can give advice, information and assistance as required, and will accompany you through the station and onto the train. If required, our station staff can also arrange for you to be met off the train at your destination station. If you would like a further assistance, please inform any member of our helpful staff upon arrival at the station.

  • Electric Wheelchairs

    Battery– electric wheelchairs (with dry cell, wet cell, gel cell, or non-spill able electric storage batteries) are acceptable for travelling on SAR trains, but certain safety procedures must be followed in preparing the wheelchair for carriage. Our employee’s may ask you for instructions on how to disassemble your equipment. It is helpful to have the assembly/disassembly instruction with you along with the used type of battery. Batteries on powered wheelchairs will remain attached and be stowed upright. Batteries must be identified as either spillable or none, so that our employees may establish the correct hazardous materials handling procedures.

  • Travelling with infants

    Children under 2 may use a seat on our trains, if it’s not occupied by a fare-paying customer. Alternatively you can buy a child ticket for your infant and reserve a seat for their journey. Baby changing facilities are available in our all stations and on-board our trains too. Please be advised that we do not provide special food for infants, although our crew will be happy to heat up baby food that you have prepared.

  • Unaccompanied minors

    Children under 12 years travelling alone will not be accepted for travel. The minor can however travel with SAR if a nominated adult 16 years old or above accompanies them and takes responsibility for them as their parent, legal guardian or companion.

Frequently askedquestions