Long distance car journeys never felt so good…
Transporting your car with SAR
Shipping your car between Riyadh and Qurayyat by train is the fastest, safest and most convenient way to travel long distances by car. With SAR you can now transport yourself, your family and your car all by train.
Arrive relaxed, ready for the day ahead
- Driving long distances by car can be extremely tiring. When you transport your car with us, you can relax from the comfort of one of our Private Sleeper Cabins or one of our Business or Economy Class seats getting some well-earned rest throughout the night. You’ll arrive refreshed and well rested the next morning, ready to continue your journey by road.
No onward transportation costs
- When you arrive at your destination (Riyadh or Qurayyat) you’ll have the freedom to explore the local area or beyond from the comfort of your own car with no additional charges for taxis, hire cars or buses.
No fuel costs
- Travelling long distances by car, is not only tiring for you but can also be expensive when fuel costs, wear and tear to your vehicle and even speeding fines are taken into consideration.
- With no luggage restrictions in your car, you are free to pack all the luggage and equipment you desire within the boot of your car.
Car Cargo Products Car Cargo Products
At SAR, we allow you the option to either transport your car by train on its own with a nominated person identified to collect the car upon its arrival, or for you to ship your car and travel with it on the same train service. Both Car Cargo options are available between Riyadh North and Qurayyat stations.
Car Cargo only
For customers wishing to ship their car on its own, vehicles can be dropped off at the Car Cargo Reception Centre in Riyadh or Qurayyat up to 3 hours prior to the train departure or from up to 2 days before*
Upon arrival, vehicles can be collected from 2 hours after the train’s arrival time or up to 2 days later*
*Please see our Car Cargo Reception Centre Opening Times before arranging drop off or collection of your vehicle.
Train Tickets + Car Cargo
For customers wishing to transport their car and travel on the same train, vehicles can be dropped off at the Car Cargo Reception Centre in Riyadh or Qurayyat up to 3 hours prior to the train departure. Customers can then relax in the comfort of the station until the train is ready to board.
Upon arrival, customers will be able to collect their car from 2 hours after the train’s arrival. Customers are free to relax whilst their car is being off loaded in the comfort of the station or within the Car Cargo Reception Centre.
Car Cargo Schedule
The simplest and cheapest way to book Car Cargo services is online through our website or mobile app, however you can buy tickets over the counter at any of our stations or by calling 8001262000.
Car Cargo tickets are available to purchase up until 4 hours before the Night Train departs its originating station (Riyadh or Qurayyat).
Cancellations & Modifications
If you change your mind or events prevent you from transporting your car with SAR, then you may be entitled to a full of partial refund.
Please note modifications to Car Cargo tickets are not currently available. If you wish to change the transportation date of your vehicle, please cancel your ticket and make a new booking.
If you change your mind and you wish to cancel your Car Cargo ticket, you can do so at the ticket office at any SAR station or by calling 8001262000 with the following charges applied:
- 7 days prior to departure
- 10%of car transportation fee charged
- 7 days to 24 hours prior to departure
- 50%of car transportation fee charged
- Less than 24 hours to departure
- 100%No refunds permitted (100% of car transportation fee charged)
Getting to our Car Cargo Reception Centers
- SAR Railway Station, 3612 King Khalid airport, Unit 1, Ar Riyadh 13422 – 7032, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
- Sun:07:00 – 12:00Mon, Tue & Sat:13:00 – 17:00Wed12:00 – 20:00Thu & FriClosed
- Al Qurayyat Passenger Railway Station
- Sun & MonClosedTue, Wed & Fri13:00 – 17:00Thu07:00 – 12:00Sat12:00 – 20:00
Vehicle types and sizes
We accept the following types of vehicles for transportation by train with SAR:
Electric cars are accepted for transportation.
LPG or hydrogen vehicles will not be permitted to be transported.
Maximum size: the maximum size of vehicle accepted for transportation is 210 cm (width) x 228 cm (height). To view popular vehicle dimensions click here*
Please note roof racks, roof boxes, trailers are not permitted to be attached to vehicles whilst being transported by train.
Please check your vehicle size carefully before booking, as if your vehicle does not conform to the above specifications it will be refused transportation, with no refund due.
* SAR does not accept responsibility for vehicle dimensions published on any 3rd party websites. It is the customer’s responsibility to ensure their vehicle is within the maximum size limits published.
Loading and Unloading your vehicle
Upon arrival at our Car Cargo Reception Centers in Riyadh and Qurayyat who will be greeted by one of our dedicated Car Cargo Service employees, who will firstly check your ticket and your personal and vehicle documentation before conducting a pre-departure vehicle inspection.
Once approved for transit, you will then hand over your car keys** and our experienced staff will drive your vehicle safely onto the train.
If you’re also travelling with us, you can then head over to the station where you can relax in advance of the train’s departure.
**Please note, whenever a car is initially accepted for transit, it does not mean it is fully correspondent to all terms and conditions, as a final security check will take place prior to loading. Once your vehicle has been accepted for shipping, for security reasons you will then not be permitted to return to the car. Therefore you must ensure that all personal belongings are removed from the vehicle before handing the keys to SAR staff.
If you have also travelled with us by train, you may relax in the station building or within our Car Cargo Reception Centre whilst your car is offloaded by one of our experienced team.
Once your vehicle has arrived safely at our Car Cargo Reception Centre, you and a member of our team will jointly conduct an arrival vehicle inspection, before completing the final hand over documentation, and receiving your car keys.
In addition to the Prohibited Items which are banned from transportation on all SAR trains, the following items are not permitted to be stowed within your vehicle whilst being transported:
- Additional fuel tanks
- Pressurized gas canisters
SAR does not accept responsibility for the secure carriage of any valuable items within your vehicle; therefore we recommend that you pack all valuables within your hand baggage if you are also travelling with us by train.
Car Cargo Terms & Conditions
Along with our standard Ticket Conditions the following supplementary conditions must be adhered to when transporting your car with SAR:
- Customers must ensure that all vehicle details provided are accurate, as no modifications will be permitted. SAR takes no responsibility for such errors.
- Vehicles must be a maximum size of 210 cm (width) x 228 cm (height) to be accepted for transportation.
- Roof racks, roof boxes and trailers are not permitted to be attached to vehicles whilst being transported by train.
- Fuel tanks must be a minimum of one quarter (1/4) full to be accepted for transportation.
- Electric cars must have a minimum of 15% charge (or 160 km range) to be accepted for transportation, and must be placed into ECO mode before being handed over the SAR.
- No LPG or hydrogen vehicles will be permitted to be transported.
- The vehicle parking brake must be in full working order.
- If the vehicle has a manual gearbox, first gear must work.
- All tyres on the vehicle must comply with national road safety standards. All vehicles must have a spare tyre within the vehicle.
- All windows on the car must fully close.
- All vehicles must be in a good condition (mechanically and externally), and clean to be accepted for transportation.
- Once the vehicle has been dropped off at our Car Cargo Service Reception Centre and initially accepted for shipping, for security reasons customers will not be permitted to return to their car. When a car is initially accepted for transit, it does not mean it is fully correspondent to all terms and conditions, as a final security check will take place prior to loading
- All vehicles must be dropped off at the Car Cargo Service Reception Centre in Riyadh or Qurayyat at least 3 hours prior to the train departure time. If you are late, your booking will be cancelled with no refund due.
- Customers must present a valid Vehicle Registration card when shipping their car. For customers shipping a leased car or a car that is not owned by the customer, an electronic copy of a valid Vehicle Registration card and an Authorization of Vehicles for Individuals through Absher must be presented.
- Under no circumstances should a customer activate their vehicle by remote start, or start the pre-conditioning cycle until it has been offloaded by SAR employees, and returned to the customer.